Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund Opens Scholarship Application for Spring 2019
Jonesboro, AR, 11.8.18 —Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund announces the opening of the scholarship application cycle for students attending or planning to attend an ASPSF approved school or training program for the Spring 2019 semester. The deadline to apply is January 15.
Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund provides financial assistance and support to single parents across the state. ASPSF helps parents pursue their education, increase their income and raise the standard of living for themselves and their families. Students must meet the universal eligibility criteria as follows: • Live in the state of Arkansas or in Bowie County, TX.
• Meet the following definition of "single parent" (all 3 categories) 1. Marital status:
▪ You're single (never married, widowed, divorced, legally separated*), or
▪ You're married but living apart and your divorce will be final by the time the scholarship is awarded* 2. Parenting status:
▪ You're the custodial parent or guardian with physical custody (50% or more) of at least one dependent child. A dependent child is:
▪ 18 or younger, or
▪ older than 18 and still in high school, or
▪ a severely disabled adult living with and dependent on you* 3. Living status:
▪ You're the only adult in the home with the child(ren), or
▪ You live with parents or relative(s), or
▪ You live with a roommate who is not your partner (significant other) or a coparent*
• A legal resident of the United States (or a resident with DACA status), applying in the county where you live.
• Have earned a high school diploma or GED.
• Have not previously earned a bachelor’s degree. • Have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA.
• Household income is typically not more than 250% of Federal Poverty Guidelines.
• Have completed or are in the process of completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (not required for DACA students or those in an approved short-term training program).
• Attending or planning to attend an ASPSF approved school or training program.
• Pursuing a degree or certification that leads to employment at family-supporting wages. The application is available at https://www.aspsf.org. Applicants should click on “Scholarships” then “Find Your County” of residence to find the appropriate scholarship application link. With support from a number of partners and donors, Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund awards well over $1.5 million in scholarships each year. A follow-up of 2017 scholarship recipients revealed that 87% of students stayed in school or completed their programs. 65% of graduates were employed full-time within 3-6 months of graduation, and 90% of working graduates earned above-poverty wages. For more information about Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund, go to https://www.aspsf.org.
Contact person: Wendy Stotts
Organization: Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund